Donovan McNabb was benched during half-time of the Ravens game. There have been many opinions on the matter, so I have outlined the reasons why he should or should not have been benched. Really, what was the point if the are going with McNabb as the starter Thursday against the Cardinals?
"Sometimes you have to step back to step forward in a positive way and Donovan will do that," Reid said. "This has nothing to do with Kolb's performance or Donovan's performance." [ESPN]Does Andy Reid even know what the hell he's talking about anymore? I think Charlie Manuel is more coherent with his speech than Reid is with his thoughts.
Reasons why he should have been benched:
- Had an awful first half and has been inconsistent all season
- He put the Ravens in a better situation to win than the Eagles
- He and Reid look lost together. The era is ending for one or both of them.
- Normally, when Reid does not have McNabb, he runs the ball more.
- To reiterate that no jobs are safe.
Reasons why he should not have been benched:
- The game was still in reach, despite McNabb's performance, and the season was not exactly over.
- If the plan was to go to Kolb at some point this season, it'd be btetter to let him start a game after practicing with the first squad all week. The best idea would probably not be to throw him out there against a dominating defense.
- McNabb is still the best quarterback and all players slump at times.
- It looked like a desperation move by Andy Reid, whether it was the correct move or not.
- It signaled that the Eagles have completely hit rock bottom.
I'm going to be honest with you. I'm not hoping for wins. I understand this team needs to rebuild, but I wish the Eagles would understand that. Personally, I'd like to see what Kolb can offer, regardless of wins and losses. We need to try to get him ready for next season, if they are going that route. It is highly doubtful that McNabb will be back after this season. The Eagles need to know if Kolb is going to be the guy or if they need to look toward another QB. I don't think Kolb is great, but I do think he is better than what we saw on Sunday. Just like McNabb is as well, but Kolb isn't one of the highest paid players on football.
Well, what does it matter, right? It's still going to be the same old story with Andy Reid calling the plays. He's literally clueless.
Hopefully McNabb bounces back for fantasy purposes, but Eagles fans need to realize that this team is a lot closer to being awful than being good. Their window shut during the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl and they should have began rebuilding after the 2006 season and most definitely after last season.