An entry on the City of Brotherly Love

Sunday, October 12, 2008 ·

So, wow, it's been quite the busy weekend for me. I've been stuck moving furniture, a cast iron tub, and knocking out a wall for most of my free time (when sports was not on). I wish I could have been able to write my thoughts on the Flyers this year, but I was just not able. I think Mike will be writing a post at some point.

Currently, the Phillies are getting hit around and losing 7-1 in the bottom of the 5th. It doesn't seem like much of a game for us, so I figured I might as well write an actul blog post on a few things.

First, I'll talk about the Flyers-Rags game. Even after having such a terrible first period, the Flyers came back strong and we're the better team over the final two periods, nearly making the 4 goal comeback, but a Richards shot clinged off the post. I was really impressed with Luca Sbisa. He was all over the place and made a lot of plays for being in his first ever NHL game, only a few months after being drafted.

Also, I love everything about Mike Richards being captain. He dropped the gloves to try to rally the team behind him and then he later scored a goal to make it 4-3. The Gagne-Richards-Briere line had 2 goals and 2 assits (both Briere). I was impressed with Simon Gagne as well. It's nice to have him back there scoring again and he was also trying to get in the middle of everything.


Now, we must talk about the most impressive football team in the state of Pennsylvania: The Penn State Nittany Lions. Penn State went into Madison, Wisconsin on Saturday and absolutely destroyed Wisco 48-7. If you could say a team dominated the game more than a 41 margin a victory, you could. They are clicking on all cylinders right now in every facet of the game. Next week, they will try to beat Michigan at home for the first time in a long time. This season could be something special for the Nittany Lions.

I wasn't all about Daryll Clark when the season started, but the Daryll Clark from last year and the Daryll Clark from this year are two different people; I swear. He's been everything Michael Robinson was, but even better.

Phillies Update - we're still losing 7-1 going into the 7th. Just not our night. You had to expect we'd lose one or two out here. I think if we can win tomorrow, we win in 5. If we win on Wednesday, the series goes 7.

Anyway, now it's time to talk bout the 76ers for a little. Brand has made his debut in Philly, but he's not the guy that's going to be getting all the talk. The most impressive player thus far has been Thaddeus Young. Playing at the 3-spot will be a better position for him. With Iguodala and Brand on the court, Young will often find himself set up for the open look. The Sixers should be primed for a good season, but like I was telling John: Be patient with them. They're probably not going to rip off a bunch of wins real early with the high expectations. They still will need time to completely gel together with the new guys.

Finally, we have the Eagles. I will go more into depth about the Birds tomorrow, bt they battled back for a must-win game today, especially with the Skins and Cowboys losing. They scored 23 4th quarter points to come back and beat the Niners 40-26. Juqua Parker who had a phenomenal game including the pick-6 that sealed it.

The defense really stepped up the intensity in the fourth to help an offense that struggled to score in the red zone again. 3 of Akers 4 field goals made were from less than 30 yards.

So now they're 3-3 going into the bye, gaining a game on Dallas and Washington. With Atlanta and Seattle next up after the bye week, the Eagles have a very good chance of facing the Giants at a 5-3 record. Hopefully it becomes that.

Last Phillies Update for the night: The Phillies are still down, but they made it 7-2 heading into the bottom of the 7th. Good news? Howard has 2 hits tonight, but he might be gettin more pitches to hit with the Dodgers up so much.

Have a good night. I'll recap the Phillies and Eagles' games tomorrow.

Also, I'll be @ the Flyers game tomorrow and then possibly @ Chickie's and Pete's after to watch game 4.

Oh, lastly, I got a 50 inch Plasma for my room.

0 Comments:

A small introduction...

We Hate to Lose began in October 2007. The initial purpose of the website was to provide news updates and commentary on all four major sports teams in Philadelphia. Because of time-constraints, in April of 2009, I decided to post only on my first-love, the Philadelphia Phillies.

My name is Justin Evans and I hope you enjoy the site.

2008 Phillies - World Fucking Champions

Philadelphia Phillies News

Philadelphia Phillies