Um, Where did you go Philadelphia?

Friday, July 25, 2008 ·

So, instead of sitting here and writing a post discussing the negative side of the Phillies recent slide to mediocrity, or below it, I will remain hopeful. No, I still have the faith that this team can rebound.

I'm going to pretend that our rotation is not filled with one ace, one 45 year old man, and three fifth starters. I'm going to pretend that our leader, our MVP, our voice of the team actually leads by example and takes the bus with his team in a highly congested city. I'm going to pretend that we have a right-handed bat besides Pat Burrell that can actually hit for average and doesn't strike out over 100 times. Actually, please do not let that statement discount Burrell. He's been awesome. He's been consistent, just about all year. Anyway, I'm going to pretend to not know that our bullpen has been over-achieving this year and with fatigue; I am going to pretend that I do not fear their performances returning to their career norms.

I am going to pretend that Charlie Manuel uses a scouting report for his pitchers every once in awhile and knows who to put in regardless of what inning it is. I am going to pretend that Charlie Manuel does not pull Pat Burrell for Eric Bruntlett or So Taguchi, two players that offer little of a defensive upgrade.

I am going to pretend that we haven't been playing .405% baseball since June 8th. I am going to pretend to not acknowledge that if we maintain our current pace, we're going to finish with 78 wins. 78, not 100. Not even close to 100.

I am going to pretend that we have a front office that for once in my life time makes an acquistion to drastically improve the team. I am going to pretend that the Phillies have won more than 1 world series in 125 seasons. I am going to pretend that Joe Carter never happened.

I am going to pretend that I know nothing about the past trends of Philadelphia sports. I am going to pretend that I didn't start following the Phillies until Howard's MVP season in 2006. I am going to pretend that all that happened since that season is all I know. 2 MVPs, 1 division title. That is all I know. That is it. I am going to pretend that Freddy Garcia was a great acquistion from the start and it wasn't the Phillies fault that it didn't pan out.

I am going to pretend that since my birth in January in 1984, Philadelphia sports have strived for greatness. I am going to pretend that the Phillies acknowledge their holes and try their damn hardest to fill those holes to the best of their capability. I am going to pretend that we actually have a farm system and don't have to get bent out of shape over a guy that doesn't have a true position yet and is blocked by Chase Utley at one of those positions.

I am going to pretend that statistical analysis means absolutely nothing when evaluating a player. I am going to pretend that players should be rewarded on intangibles and not performance.

I am going to pretend that the Phillies even know what situational hitting or small ball is. I am going to pretend that since scoring 20 runs against St. Louis, we have averaged more than 4 runs per game and not less than. I am going to pretend that we are not struggling, but the team was just bored and wanted to let other teams get involved in the race only to turn it on now.

I am going to pretend that our team loves the chase and the hunt, but not the victorious kill.

I am going to remain hopeful. I am going to remain faithful toward the Phillies. I am going to pretend all that just happened, never happened. I am going to pretend that when we had our opportunity to stick the dagger into the Mets hearts, we did it and we did not pull it out to let them survive. I am going to pretend that we didn't give them CPR to continue their lives as they were.

These are our Philadelphia Phillies. They have no holes. They have no problems. They're not struggling. Their offense is the best in baseball. Their offense is the best their ever was.

I am going to pretend that Joe Blanton is our savior.

0 Comments:

A small introduction...

We Hate to Lose began in October 2007. The initial purpose of the website was to provide news updates and commentary on all four major sports teams in Philadelphia. Because of time-constraints, in April of 2009, I decided to post only on my first-love, the Philadelphia Phillies.

My name is Justin Evans and I hope you enjoy the site.

2008 Phillies - World Fucking Champions

Philadelphia Phillies News

Philadelphia Phillies