Charlie Hustle?

Thursday, June 5, 2008 ·

Article taken from Comcast Sportsnet:

In Thursday's 5-0 win over the Reds, Jimmy Rollins at the plate and Carlos Ruiz on second base, the reigning National League MVP lifted a popup into shallow left field. Janish appeared to have called off leftfielder Jay Bruce, but failed to make the catch, taking a stab at the ball before it fell to the grass. The error allowed the first run of the game to score, but perhaps had a more significant impact. After Janish’s blunder, Rollins was still stationed on first base because he wasn’t hustling out of the batter’s box.

He didn’t take the field in the top of the fourth as Manuel sent Eric Bruntlett out in Rollins’ place. Bruntlett ended up making a diving stop in the eighth inning on a grounder off the bat of Jay Bruce that preserved Hamels’ shutout.

“Jimmy and I took care of that,” Manuel said. “That’s a done issue.”


Upon being asked about Rollins in a variety of ways after the game, Manuel repeated the phrase, “I don’t have to talk about it,” three times before finally walking out.

Once he was yanked, Rollins remained in the dugout for the rest of the game. Not hustling on balls assumed to be an out is something Manuel had talked to Rollins about before.
“He’s the manager and that’s what he had to do,” Rollins said. “He has two rules: Be on time and hustle. I broke one [Thursday].”
As for not running the ball out, Rollins had no explanation.
“I just didn’t do it. It happens every once in awhile,” he said. “It shouldn’t happen, but I’m not disappointed in myself. I know better. I’ve just got to go out there and make sure I don’t do it again. It’s something to learn from.”

0 Comments:

A small introduction...

We Hate to Lose began in October 2007. The initial purpose of the website was to provide news updates and commentary on all four major sports teams in Philadelphia. Because of time-constraints, in April of 2009, I decided to post only on my first-love, the Philadelphia Phillies.

My name is Justin Evans and I hope you enjoy the site.

2008 Phillies - World Fucking Champions

Philadelphia Phillies News

Philadelphia Phillies