Richards: "I'm not ready for the C"

Thursday, May 22, 2008 ·

The entire Philadelphia fan base and the guys in the locker room think that Mike Richards is both ready and deserves to be captain. However, there is one guy who disagrees and that man is Mike Richards, himself. [Philly Daily News]

"I don't think I'm ready right now," he said. "I'm still young. I've been in the league 3 years and I don't think I'm ready right now."
If not Richards, who would it be? Personally, I think Richards should be the captain regardless because the likely candidates would be Kimmo Timonen or Daniel Briere, two players here for at least 5 more years. I have a hard time believing that they will be stripped of the "C" if one of those two become captain. I also have a hard time believing that the players would not vote Richards the captain.

Paul Holmgren, John Stevens, Derian Hatcher, and even likely former captain, Jason Smith, have endorsed Mike Richards as the next captain. Richards was voted MVP by the local media and he led all Flyers' forwards in postseason ice time. Richards is on the ice for even strength, the power play, and the penalty kill. He's the centerman against the opposing team's top line and he consistently leaves it all out on the ice.

If for some reason Mike Richards is not voted team captain, I'd expect the captain to be Kimmo Timonen. Timonen's return to the lineup during game 5 demonstrated great character and he was more and more of a vocal leader throughout the playoffs. However, whether Richards likes it or not, I think he will add the "C" to his media developed resume as the next Bobby Clarke.

1 Comments:

John "Roose" Russo said...
May 22, 2008 at 9:34 PM  

Richards is a very humble person indeed and he has done a great job stepping up as an alternate. If Richards is not captain, hands down it should go to Kimmo Timonen.

A small introduction...

We Hate to Lose began in October 2007. The initial purpose of the website was to provide news updates and commentary on all four major sports teams in Philadelphia. Because of time-constraints, in April of 2009, I decided to post only on my first-love, the Philadelphia Phillies.

My name is Justin Evans and I hope you enjoy the site.

2008 Phillies - World Fucking Champions

Philadelphia Phillies News

Philadelphia Phillies